Welcome to my blog. Does the world really need another blog? Well, probably not. But, I believe
we are all on a journey... and I think it is a good thing to process and to analyze the world around us. So being a writer... what better way to do this? This is a blog where I will authentically share with you the way I see life -- which may include the good, the bad and the ugly. I am glad you found me. I hope you come back again. Blessings.

Monday, September 5, 2011

My Labor Day Weekend...

Labor Day. The holiday in and of itself is a little unusual. I would venture to say many today do not even know the full meaning behind the holiday.... but that is an entirely different post!

I know for me and many others it has traditionally been seen as the final curtain on summer and the realization that "real life" is now beginning... After Labor Day, we set aside the more leisurely pace of summer and we officially get back to our regularly scheduled life...

We found ourselves on the outset of the weekend without scheduled plans. I was trying to make casual plans with friends for dinner... We had a come and go wedding celebration we were tentatively planning to attend on Saturday... And then on Saturday, a friend called and asked us over for a cookout one evening.

And other than those few things, the only thing we wanted to definitely accomplish was a trip to the drive-in (because this fun tradition was still on our summer "to do" list....)

So, the weekend was basically open. Unscheduled. Up in the air. Not normally the way I roll. Because, those of you who know me, know I love my schedules and to do lists.

But, I put schedules and Daytimers aside this weekend and let the weekend kind of just "roll along." When the husband got home on Friday, we had a brief conversation about a few things we would like to get accomplished and a "very loose plan" was made... Because, come on, you can't take the schedule completely out of a scheduler!

Anyway, all that to say, it was a fantastic weekend. It was almost as if not having a lot scheduled to do... gave us all the freedom to get a lot accomplished! Not that this even makes sense. But it was a very productive weekend -- And yet at the same time it was very laid back and relaxed and fun. So hard to explain. I guess it is kind of like vacation should be. You know, ideally, when you go on vacation, you get to go and do and see a lot... but all the while you are feeling relaxed and calm... Doesn't happen very often on vacations, does it?

Many times, we use long holiday weekends to cram in a quick trip to visit family. Or family comes to see us. Or we plan a house project. Or we make plans to have a big get together at our house. But not this weekend.

And I am not going to lie. I had to fight the urge. The urge to schedule something big this weekend. The urge to have a bunch of company over for a dinner. The urge to not go somewhere. The urge to not have a schedule with plans. It seemed weird to just stay at home and be.

And yet I liked it. A lot.


2 comments:

  1. I sooooo get what you are saying, Alicia. I love my scheduled plans and to do lists as well, but there is freedom in surrendering, sometimes, to the flow. God has been teaching me that He loves that I am using the gifts He gave me for administration (schedules & to do lists) and when I just surrender to His much bigger plans I find such joy and contentment in going with the flow (hopefully the flow of the Holy Spirit).

    When we feel that synergy of our gifts being used in God's perfect plans, I think we are feeling that joy and peace that Jesus called "the abundant life".

    Anyway, thanks for blogging and sharing. I've enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, Kathleen. I think there is a place for the schedules and to do lists. It is what makes an administrator an administrator. But, taking a Sabbath or a Sabbath weekend means surrendering all of that. It is good for us to rest from that...

    Thanks for your comments. Definitely an encouragement to me too!

    ReplyDelete